Friday, September 7, 2007

Good Humor

One of my favorite things about my job is the children I work with. This may sound like a no-brainer, but I know teachers who really don't care for children. It's sad. I, on the other hand, like most things about them. Their senses of humor is near or at the top of the list. Today I was reading aloud from "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," by Judy Blume. I always start out the year (when I teach fourth grade) reading this book because it's so damn funny and the kids can relate to it. I'm reading a part where the main character's little brother refuses to eat. During dinner, he goes under the table and starts acting like a dog. To encourage him to eat, his mother puts his plate of food on the floor so he can eat like like a dog. When he still refuses to eat (and he hasn't eaten for a couple days now), she says she's going to call the doctor. At this point, I hear one of my students mutter, "That kid doesn't need a doctor, he needs a psychiatrist!" I'm glad I'm the type of teacher who can laugh when one of my kids makes a joke even when s/he is talking out of turn instead of shouting "YELLOW!"

No comments: