Friday, January 16, 2009

I Need a Sub

I'm sick. I don't get sick very often, but when I do, it hits hard. So what I have is "just a cold," but man, I have the cough from HELL. I think I coughed for 4 hours straight the other night...no exaggeration. I managed to get to the doctor today and got some good stuff for sleeping (Tylenol with codeine), but there's not much out there for breastfeeding women. Those are my doctor's exact words. Thank god I can take cough syrup as that is safe for bf'ers, but this over-the-counter crap wasn't cutting it, which is why I went to the doctor.

Before going to the doctor, though, I was rummaging through my medicine cabinet in desperate search of something to relieve my symptoms. Everything, and I mean everything, comes with a warning for breastfeeding or pregnant women. Vicks Vapo-Rub? Come on! When I told my doctor this, even she was like, "What???" Apparently she lived on the stuff while she was pg, so I don't feel so bad having ignored the warning and applied it on myself anyway.

I had a point to this post. Oh yeah, I miss working for one reason only: sick days. I used to rarely use my sicks days, even when I was sick! I just hated having to prepare for a sub in my classroom. Man, what I would give for a sub now!

Gone are the sick days of watching tv all day and falling in and out of sleep during the afternoon. This is not one of the perks of this job. Samantha is clueless to my condition. In fact, I think she's a bit annoyed that I can't sing to her while rocking her to sleep without exploding into a fit of coughing. Poor thing, I about scared her half to death the other night with my coughs.

At least now it's the weekend and I'll have a temporary sub: Daddy!

1 comment:

Laural Out Loud said...

Thank goodness for weekends! And daddies! I remember a time I got sick while on maternity leave, and it was awful. As soon as Gilberto walked in the door I shoved Gabi in his arms and headed to bed. I hope you feel better soon!