Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cue the Circus Music

I guess I'm not getting much out of my job lately since I haven't posted in...I don't even know how long. Either that or I'm just so effing tired by the time work is done that I can't even function. Seriously, by the end of the day I'm spent to the point where my husband is worried about me. Awwwww. Really, though, I'm fine. I'm just 7 months pregnant. (Yeah, holy shit.)

Yesterday was a no-school day for kids. Those are the best because I can actually get work done. This may sound silly to you because kids are my work, but imagine this: Everyday you have to give a presentation that has to last from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Now these presentations cannot (or should not) be repetative. They should be hands-on and interesting, use engaging supplies and manipulatives, and your audience will be tested all the material you cover, which, by the way, has a very wide scope as you must cover 5 different topics.

Uh, when do you prepare for these presentations? Right, you get to the presentation early and you stay late. But some presentations require much more preparation than others, so sometimes you are preparing for one the day before and sometimes a week in advance. Add on top of this a shitload of paperwork, many phone calls to make (and no phone given to you), materials to gather and/or make, field trips to plan, interruptions from the office, and...oh, yeah, your audience doesn't really like to listen most of the time.

Basically, teaching is like being the ringmaster of a 14-ring circus while you yourself are juggling 23 balls in the air. Ask any teacher...s/he will agree. There is just so. much. going. on. And while you can't really understand it until you're in that situation, I hope I've given you a glimpse.

So yesterday, when I had a whole 3 hours in a row to work in my room, I got SOOOO much done, but not even close to what I needed to get done. I could probably use, like, 3 more DAYS, but there's no way in hell I'm going in on a weekend.

No comments: