Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dissertations in Fourth Grade?

The Illinois Standards Achievement Test starts on March 4th. Can someone PLEASE explain to me how it is fair that a student gets tested on if they've achieved the standards for an ENTIRE school year in MARCH? The beginning of March to boot! They used to be in April, which I also thought was early, but it's better than March!

I'm sorry, but I can't cram 10 months of material into 6 months. I. just. can't.

Especially when the standards we have to teach to are so vague. I've always hated their unspecific nature. For example:

Language Arts:
Standard 2B2b: Identify and explain themes that have been explored in literature from different societies and eras.

Science:
13B2b: Describe the effects on society of technological innovations (e.g. antibiotics, steam engine, digital computers, etc.)

Social Studies: (thank god we don't get tested in this!)
16.C.2d Describe the economic conse­quences of the first agricultural revolution, 4000 BCE-1000 BCE.


I mean, don't these sound like topics one does dissertations on rather than 4th grade learning standards??? It is so ridiculous. And how can I possibly teach the enormous scope of what one standard/benchmark covers? And there are SO many for each grade. Am I alone here in thinking this is absurd?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's bogus.

Anonymous said...

My 10th graders get tested in March also. Our testing starts the same day and spans two weeks.

The kicker . . .
The science test covers 9-12 grade standards. They only get tested in the 10th grade year.

WTF is that all about?