Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Flamin' Hot Breakfast

When I see what some of the kids at my school eat for breakfast, it totally grosses me out, and not because I'm pregnant, but because...well, you'll see.

I will admit that when I was a kid, I did not eat the most nutritional of breakfasts. I usually had caffe-latte (a.k.a. cafe au lait) (give my parents a break - we're 100% Italian) with Froot Loops and Chips Ahoy cookies. NOT your breakfast of champions. (God, it was good, though. I wish I could still eat like that!).

At least it was breakfast food, though. It's not like I was eating a piece of chicken or a plate of spaghetti at 7:30 a.m.

Many kids nowadays eat the weirdest things for breakfast. The most popular food: Flamin' Hot Cheetos. If you walk around outside my school on any random day, I guarantee you will see at least 10 people eating Flamin' Hots before 9:00 a.m. I've observed this for several years now at 2 different schools. When I spoke to a friend about it, he informed me that he heard something on NPR about it. I googled it and, lo and behold, found the link to the segment: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5394069. Apparently, this is a nationwide problem! "They" think that the spiciness of the product stimulates endorphins to be released, thus creating a buzz from the food. Great. Get all buzzed up on Flamin' Hots then come to my reading class. Those 2 mix well.

The non-breakfast food for breakfast is not limited to cheetos, though. At 8:00 this morning, I was opening my window (because my room is 8,000 degrees, but that's another story) and happened to look down to see a kid eating a huge-ass slice of pepperoni pizza! Where the hell did he get that at 8:00 a.m.? I know there's a breakfast truck like a block away, but pizza? wtf?

I know the school's breakfast and lunch is nothing fantastic, but, hey, it's free for most of the kids AND it's breakfast foods like waffles, doughnuts, pancakes, or cereal...y'know, breakfast food.

No comments: