Monday, March 3, 2008

A Day Off

Thank you, Casimir Pulaski, for giving us this day off. For those of you not in Chicago, the first Monday of every March is Casimir Pulaski Day. He was a Revolutionary War hero and that's pretty much all I know about him, but you can learn all about him here. Since there is a strong Polish community in Chicago, we have the day off! Thank you, Chicago Poles!

I also know that in 2 weeks I will have a week off for Spring Break! Hopefully we'll have more spring-like weather than the crap we have now, but if it means not having to wake up to an alarm clock, I'll take it.

However, after that week off, I have no more days off until Memorial Day, which is an eternity away. I know you civilians are used to going for long periods of time without days off, but we teachers are not. I know you think it's not fair, but have you ever been around a child for an extended period of time, like 2 hours? You feel like you want to pull your hair out, right? Or you just need some "down time" (I guess that would be the less drastic version). Well, imagine that being your job. And you're not just with a child, but dozens of them! For 6 hours in a row!

Okay, okay, I know I chose this as my profession, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it.

P.S. To show you how naive I am, doing a google image search for "Spring Break" does not yield the fun party pictures I was hoping to create a link to in the second paragraph above. Holy shit, these spring breakers are CRAZY sluts!!! Fortunately (or unfortuately...depending on one's point of view), I will be spending my spring break getting the nursery ready. It's almost the same thing, really.

No comments: