Friday, March 14, 2008

Reason 319

As I've mentioned before, my students have to write me weekly letters about what they've been reading. The first paragraph is supposed to be a summary. The others are about their thoughts while reading. Most of my students don't have a voice yet, which is to say that their personality doesn't come through in their writing. This kid's, though, definitely got one. (He's the same one I wrote about last time.

Dear Ms. M,
Today I finished The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. By my point of view it was about a tiny mouse who fell in love with a princess and was sent to the dungeon because of that. And the princess was kidnapped by a rat (who fell in the queen's soup and the queen died) and a girl (who was near death and her father traded her for a cloth). The mouse comes to beat up a rat and saves the princess. That's the short story.

In the 24th chapter, Sow's mother had squeezed her hand three times and dies, but how? Kate DiCamillo kept on saying "Zip. Zero. Nada. Goose eggs." What about goose eggs, though?

It had not so much action, but it was like an action-fairy tale. But why on earth would a mouse love a human!?!?!?!?!?!? That's only like 5% possible. Even dressed up in a mouse suit, it's only about 10% possible!

Sincerely,
R.

No comments: